5 Ways in Which College Is Different From High School



College holds a prominent place in pop culture – movies and YAF books focus mostly on college experiences and choose real and fictional campuses as their setting for drama, comedy and everything in between. Indeed, this transition from high school to college is often perceived as a threshold of adulthood and one of the most important turning points in a person’s life. However, how accurately you picture college in your mind? Are there any misconceptions? Are you ready for new freedoms and responsibilities? Here are the key points that will help you to assess all this.

Assignments

One of the key differences between high school and college is, of course, the number and the nature of the assignments. When I was at school, I had to spend about 4 hours to write my assignments for the next day. That is without the reading to refresh the material in my memory and some additional projects. I must say it was grueling and I looked forward to starting college because there were virtually no homework (or so I used to believe).
Indeed, in college, you only get about three assignments during the entire semester, which doesn’t seem that much. However, each of them carries more weight when it comes to your final grade. They are more meaningful but more stressful as well.

Time in-class

In high school I used to spend about six hours in class each day – that is just a little less than a full-time job. Add my homework and I would come off even busier than an average working grown-up.
In college it’s only about fourteen hours a week, which must seem a breeze after the high school, but here’s a caveat – you are expected to spend twice as much time studying independently and working on your assignments. Hardly a relief, yet college offers you more flexibility and no useless busy work. You have a syllabus that explains what is expected of you to guide you through the course.

Class size

In school, classes vary in size but usually, there are about twenty to thirty students who attend lecture-based lessons in standardly equipped classrooms.
College is widely different. Depending on the size of your college and the nature of your class, the size of your group can be anywhere from two to five hundred students. The classroom might be a tiny lab or a huge lecture hall. The format is everything from hands-on practice to a discussion club to an entirely lecture-based class.

Schedule

In school, I had the same timetable week after week and the schedules for every day were similar. My time was rigorously structured and my attendance closely monitored.
In college students are expected to manage their own time. You will choose from a variety of elective classes and for some of them, there will be an option of time you want to attend them (morning vs. evening classes). For most classes attendance isn’t obligatory but encouraged. As for the formal schedule you will get as a result, it will be very complicated with weekly, biweekly, and monthly classes, so to keep track of them all and for the assignment deadlines you should map up your timetable for the semester.

Responsibility

 In high school, my teachers and parents guided me in my priorities, reminded of my responsibilities and organized my day and my academic year. If I would stray from those guidelines they were quick to correct my behavior.
In college students must balance their responsibilities and set priorities for themselves. What they do and don’t do is entirely up to them. They are responsible for studying, assignments, budget, meals, laundry, and facing the consequences of their choices. Some of those choices are simple and merely concern time-management, others are complicated and ethical in nature.

Comments